I'm interested in issues relating to justification, scepticism and relativism in both traditional and feminist epistemology. At the moment I'm exploring the prospects for a relativist, feminist hinge epistemology as part of the ERC Advanced Grant Project "The Emergence of Relativism" at the University of Vienna. As part of this I'm working on a monograph called 'The Layers of Justification'.
This is informed by my PhD thesis, in which I defended a novel picture of the structure of epistemic justification which I called stratified. On a stratified picture of justification there are multiple different 'layers' of epistemic frameworks, and which propositions count as justified for a subject is a function of a cross-section of these layers.
- Undercutting Underdetermination-based Scepticism. Theoria. 81(4) pp.333-354. (2015) [Draft]
- Appropriate Belief without Evidence. Teorema Vol. XXXIV/2, pp. 7-28. (2015) [Draft] Winner of the 2014 Teorema Essay Prize).
- Review of Annalisa Coliva's Extended Rationality: A Hinge Epistemology. In Philosophical Quarterly (forthcoming, 2016)
Papers In Progress
- 'Rethinking Epistemic Relativism'. In submission. [Draft]
- 'Feminist Epistemology as Mainstream'. [Draft]
- 'Recent Work in Hinge Epistemology'.
- 'Epistemic Advantage & Epistemic Injustice'
- 'Extended Rationality & Epistemic Relativism'.
- Epistemic Relativism & Feminist Epistemology
- Epistemic Relativism & Disagreement.
- Epistemic Relativism & Epistemic Normativity
- Wittgenstein in Contemporary Epistemology. Wittgen=steine Vortragsreihe (Vienna: December 2016)
- Epistemic Advantage & Epistemic Injustice. Research Seminar in Epistemology & Philosophy of Science (Tilburg: November 2016)
- Epistemic Advantage & Epistemic Injustice. Relativism in the Study of Science Summer School (IUT Dubrovnik: July 2016)
- Does Epistemic Constitutivism Guarantee Epistemic Relativism? European Epistemology Network Meeting (Paris: July 2016)
- Extended Rationality & Epistemic Relativism. Pluralism & Relativism Workshop (CEU Budapest: February 2016)
- Feminist Epistemology as Mainstream. Joint Session of the Aristotelian Society & the Mind Association (Warwick: July 2015)
- Feminist Epistemology as Mainstream. SWIP Workshop (York: June 2015)
- Hinge Epistemology, Constitutivism and Truth. Annalisa Coliva Book Symposium (Edinburgh: January 2015)
- Undercutting Underdetermination-Based Scepticism. Open Minds IX (Manchester: July 2014)
- Defending the Extended Mind Thesis. Extended Knowledge Workshop (Edinburgh: December 2013)
- "Knowledge" is Not Necessary. Roles of Knowledge Workshop (Cambridge: July 2013)
- Wittgensteinian Contextualism as Relativism. Pragmatist Perspectives on Truth and Knowledge Workshop (Edinburgh: 2013)